testing header
Math Goodies is a free math help portal for students, teachers, and parents.
Free Math
Newsletter

Interactive Math Goodies Software

Buy Math Goodies Software
testing left nav
Math Forums @ Math Goodies
Math Forums @ Math Goodies
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Homework Help Forums
 Probability and Statistics
 Probability with dice and target numbers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bringer23

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2012 :  12:05:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, this is my first time on the forums and I am having a very hard time with some math questions. I have tried searching the web for my particular question but most sites are concerned with the sums of 2 six-sides dice not target numbers. What I mean by target numbers is I am trying to figure out what the probability of rolling "at least" one 1, 2, 3, etc. on multiple dice. The reason I am doing this is because I am trying to build an excel sheet to help me make better decisions with a table top game I play called "Heavy Gear Blitz". I very fun game, everyone should check it out. ;)

One of the facets of the game is when you roll a double/triple/etc. six instead of getting a six, you get six plus how many other sixes you have rolled. For example, on four dice I rolled a 6, 6, 6, 4. I would then have the final score of 8 because of my first six and then +1 for every six after it. This really puts the math a bit beyond me. I have gotten a bit of the target number math done, but I am really not sure if I have it right or not.

This is what I do:

3 six-sides dice being rolled
chances of not rolling at least a 6 on the first die = (5/6)
chances of not rolling at least a 6 on the second die = (5/6)
chances of not rolling at least a 6 on the third die = (5/6)
I then multiple all the results together = .5787 or 57.87%
I want to find out the result of rolling a 6 so I then subtract the number I found from 1 = .4213 or 42.13%

I hope this is all right. I am not really sure how to do the math for what I was talking about early with "at least" rolling a "7". Thank you for your time and any help you can give! :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Math Forums @ Math Goodies © 2000-2004 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
testing footer
About Us | Contact Us | Advertise with Us | Facebook | Blog | Recommend This Page

Copyright © 1998-2014 Mrs. Glosser's Math Goodies. All Rights Reserved.

A Hotchalk/Glam Partner Site - Last Modified 22 Apr 2014