testing header
Math Goodies is a free math help portal for students, teachers, and parents.
Free Math
Newsletter

Interactive Math Goodies Software

Buy Math Goodies Software
testing left nav
Math Forums @ Math Goodies
Math Forums @ Math Goodies
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Parent Forum
 Parent's Place
 help
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Myke

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2011 :  10:54:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
trying to help my daughter with a math question
Linda is at a restaurant, she has $30 must pay 7% tax and wants to leave 15% tip, what is the most she can pay for a meal. I know the meal is $24.59 tip is $3.69 and tax is $1.72, I just don't know how to get there? What is the formula?
Thanks for any help.
Myke
Go to Top of Page

Ultraglide
Advanced Member

Canada
299 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2011 :  12:25:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What you are trying to do is find the price before the tax and tip are added. In this question, you are assuming that the tax and tip are both based on the cost of the meal. (You are not basing your tip on the tax.) In this case, the tax and tip add up to 22%.

Here's an example: Say I bought an item for $1.50 and had to pay 6% tax. Now $1.50x6%=$0.09 which gives a final price of $1.59. Another way to see the problem is to note that the price of the item is 100% and you are adding an additional 6% so the final price is 106% of the cost, i.e. $1.50x1.06 = $1.59. In general if the cost is C and the final price is P then Cx1.06=P This is an equation that you want to solve for C, so C = P/1.06. In general if you want to 'work back' from the final price, you divide the final price by 100% plus the tax rate.
Go to Top of Page

Ultraglide
Advanced Member

Canada
299 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2011 :  12:28:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One further note, this is what retailers do when they offer items with no sales tax. They actually adjust the price so that when the tax is added (because tax must be paid), you end up with the original price.
Go to Top of Page

Myke

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2011 :  18:14:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Ultraglide, I was able to understand and help my daughter understand. I'm fairly good at math, but I was stumped on this one.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Math Forums @ Math Goodies © 2000-2004 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.32 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
testing footer
About Us | Contact Us | Advertise with Us | Facebook | Blog | Recommend This Page

Copyright © 1998-2014 Mrs. Glosser's Math Goodies. All Rights Reserved.

A Hotchalk/Glam Partner Site - Last Modified 30 Oct 2014