testing header
Math Goodies is a free math help portal for students, teachers, and parents.
Free Math
Newsletter

Interactive Math Goodies Software

Buy Math Goodies Software
testing left nav
Math Forums @ Math Goodies
Math Forums @ Math Goodies
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Homework Help Forums
 Probability and Statistics
 Ap stat and probability 2
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

shwang
Average Member

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2007 :  16:59:41  Show Profile
4. A bag contains 3 red marbles and 4 blue marbles. What is the probability that you select one red marble and one blue if you reach in the bag and randomly grab two marbles?
CHOICES: a) 1/2 b) 3/5 c) 2/3 d) 4/7 e) 5/8

WHAT I DID: I thought the chance of picking a red marble would be 3/7 and the chance of picking a blue marble is 4/7. ShouldnĄŻt I multiply these two fractions to get 12/49? But that answer isnĄŻt in the answer choice. What am I doing wrong?

5. If the letters Ą°SAT TESTĄ± are placed in a box, what is the probability that you randomly draw two TĄŻs from the box?
CHOICES: a) 1/7 b) 2/7 c) 3/7 d) 1/4 e) 1/6

WHAT I DID: There are three TĄŻs out of seven letters total. The chance that IĄŻd draw 2 TĄŻs out of 3 TĄŻs can be expressed as 2/3. So when I multiply 2/3 with 3/7 I get 2/7. Is b) the right choice?

6. In a student class election, every student in the class votes for 2 of 4 candidates. The person receiving the greatest number of votes is elected president. If Candidate B was elected president in the election with the results shown, what is the minimum number of students in the class?
A-44 votes
B-n votes
C-38 votes
D-16 votes

CHOICES: a) 46 b) 72 c) 95 d) 121 e) 144
WHAT I DID: I donĄŻt know how to approach this problem. I know that people who voted for D (16 ppl) also voted for another person.
Go to Top of Page

galactus
Advanced Member

USA
1464 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2007 :  19:26:39  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by shwang

4. A bag contains 3 red marbles and 4 blue marbles. What is the probability that you select one red marble and one blue if you reach in the bag and randomly grab two marbles?
CHOICES: a) 1/2 b) 3/5 c) 2/3 d) 4/7 e) 5/8

WHAT I DID: I thought the chance of picking a red marble would be 3/7 and the chance of picking a blue marble is 4/7. ShouldnĄŻt I multiply these two fractions to get 12/49? But that answer isnĄŻt in the answer choice. What am I doing wrong?

Remember, there's no replacement. You didn't account for that. When one marble is drawn there is one less in the bag. They can be drawn in 2 different ways, red first or blue first.

2(3/7)(4/6)=4/7

See?.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Math Forums @ Math Goodies © 2000-2004 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.04 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
testing footer
About Us | Contact Us | Advertise with Us | Facebook | Blog | Recommend This Page

Copyright © 1998-2014 Mrs. Glosser's Math Goodies. All Rights Reserved.

A Hotchalk/Glam Partner Site - Last Modified 24 Nov 2014