testing header
Math Goodies is a free math help portal for students, teachers, and parents.
Free Math
Newsletter

Interactive Math Goodies Software

Buy Math Goodies Software
testing left nav
Math Goodies on facebook

Math Goodies Blog
Math Forums @ Math Goodies
Math Forums @ Math Goodies
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Homework Help Forums
 Probability and Statistics
 Ap stat and probability 2
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

shwang
Average Member

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2007 :  16:59:41  Show Profile
4. A bag contains 3 red marbles and 4 blue marbles. What is the probability that you select one red marble and one blue if you reach in the bag and randomly grab two marbles?
CHOICES: a) 1/2 b) 3/5 c) 2/3 d) 4/7 e) 5/8

WHAT I DID: I thought the chance of picking a red marble would be 3/7 and the chance of picking a blue marble is 4/7. ShouldnĄŻt I multiply these two fractions to get 12/49? But that answer isnĄŻt in the answer choice. What am I doing wrong?

5. If the letters Ą°SAT TESTĄ± are placed in a box, what is the probability that you randomly draw two TĄŻs from the box?
CHOICES: a) 1/7 b) 2/7 c) 3/7 d) 1/4 e) 1/6

WHAT I DID: There are three TĄŻs out of seven letters total. The chance that IĄŻd draw 2 TĄŻs out of 3 TĄŻs can be expressed as 2/3. So when I multiply 2/3 with 3/7 I get 2/7. Is b) the right choice?

6. In a student class election, every student in the class votes for 2 of 4 candidates. The person receiving the greatest number of votes is elected president. If Candidate B was elected president in the election with the results shown, what is the minimum number of students in the class?
A-44 votes
B-n votes
C-38 votes
D-16 votes

CHOICES: a) 46 b) 72 c) 95 d) 121 e) 144
WHAT I DID: I donĄŻt know how to approach this problem. I know that people who voted for D (16 ppl) also voted for another person.
Go to Top of Page

galactus
Advanced Member

USA
1464 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2007 :  19:26:39  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by shwang

4. A bag contains 3 red marbles and 4 blue marbles. What is the probability that you select one red marble and one blue if you reach in the bag and randomly grab two marbles?
CHOICES: a) 1/2 b) 3/5 c) 2/3 d) 4/7 e) 5/8

WHAT I DID: I thought the chance of picking a red marble would be 3/7 and the chance of picking a blue marble is 4/7. ShouldnĄŻt I multiply these two fractions to get 12/49? But that answer isnĄŻt in the answer choice. What am I doing wrong?

Remember, there's no replacement. You didn't account for that. When one marble is drawn there is one less in the bag. They can be drawn in 2 different ways, red first or blue first.

2(3/7)(4/6)=4/7

See?.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Math Forums @ Math Goodies © 2000-2004 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
testing footer
About Us | Contact Us | Advertise with Us | Facebook | Blog | Recommend This Page

Copyright © 1998-2015 Mrs. Glosser's Math Goodies. All Rights Reserved.

A Hotchalk/Glam Partner Site - Last Modified 25 Jan 2015