testing header
Math Goodies is a free math help portal for students, teachers, and parents.
Free Math
Newsletter

Interactive Math Goodies Software

Buy Math Goodies Software
testing left nav
Math Forums @ Math Goodies
Math Forums @ Math Goodies
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Homework Help Forums
 Standardized Test Preparation Help
 Properties of Numbers

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Insert Special Characters Insert Smilie

* Forum Code is ON

Math Symbols
Squared [squared] Cubed [cubed] Square Root [sqrt] Cube Root [cbrt] Pi [pi]
Alpha [alpha] Beta [beta] Gamma [gamma] Theta [theta] Angle [angle]
Degrees [degrees] Times [times] Divide [divide] Less Than or Equal To [less-than] Greater Than or Equal To [greater-than]
Plus Minus [plus-minus] Integral [integral] Sum [sum] Sub 1 [sub-1] Sub 2 [sub-2]
Element Of [element-of] Union [union] Intersect [intersect] Subset [subset] Empty Set [empty-set]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Joe Komagawa Posted - 11/30/2013 : 23:36:26
GMAT -official guide, #68
When Positive integer N is divided by 5 the remainder is 1. When N is divided by 7 , the remainder is 3. What is the smallest positive integer K such that K +N is a multiple of 35,
a) 3 B) 4) C) 12 D) 32 E)35 Answer is B) 4.
OK, maybe I get "something".
"If x and y are integers and X not= 0, then x is a divisor/factor of Y., if Y is =XN". So prob: N= 5x + 1,N=5x+1 and N= 7y + 3. and 5x=7y+2.
In the answer it explains that the units digit for 5x must be a 5 or 0. "Ok" and 7y+2 in order to agree must have a units digit of 5 or 0. and so 7y must be either 3 or 8. "OK", and Y cannot be just any number, it starts with 4, then skips to 9, then 14.
I am stuck on the next step: "and so Y= 5Z +4, what does "5Z+4" explain? 5x4 +4 =24, not a product that has a 0 or 5. Then "N=7y +3 = 7(5Z+4) +3, this works out to be "35Z+31". So the remainder of the answer makes no sense to me: "Therefore if k is a positive integer, N+K is a multiple of 35 when K= 4, 39, 74...and the smallest of these intgers is "4" answer B."

Math Forums @ Math Goodies © 2000-2004 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.04 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
testing footer
About Us | Contact Us | Advertise with Us | Facebook | Blog | Recommend This Page

Copyright © 1998-2014 Mrs. Glosser's Math Goodies. All Rights Reserved.

A Hotchalk/Glam Partner Site - Last Modified 21 May 2014