testing header
Math Goodies is a free math help portal for students, teachers, and parents.
Free Math
Newsletter

Interactive Math Goodies Software

Buy Math Goodies Software
testing left nav
Math Forums @ Math Goodies
Math Forums @ Math Goodies
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Homework Help Forums
 Pre-Calculus and Calculus
 Lower bound of polynomial zeros

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Insert Special Characters Insert Smilie

* Forum Code is ON

Math Symbols
Squared [squared] Cubed [cubed] Square Root [sqrt] Cube Root [cbrt] Pi [pi]
Alpha [alpha] Beta [beta] Gamma [gamma] Theta [theta] Angle [angle]
Degrees [degrees] Times [times] Divide [divide] Less Than or Equal To [less-than] Greater Than or Equal To [greater-than]
Plus Minus [plus-minus] Integral [integral] Sum [sum] Sub 1 [sub-1] Sub 2 [sub-2]
Element Of [element-of] Union [union] Intersect [intersect] Subset [subset] Empty Set [empty-set]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
moon1130 Posted - 08/10/2013 : 14:47:48
Hi,

I have the polynomial function F(x)= x+11x+31x+21, which factors to (x+1)*(x+3)*(x+7). From the factorization, it is clear that x=-8 is a lower bound of the real zeros. Yet, when I divide the function by -8 using synthetic division, the last row of the synthetic division is 1 3 7 -35 rather than 1 -3 7 -35, which it should be if -8 were a lower bound according to the Upper and Lower Bounds Theorem.

I have checked my division several times and I come up with the same result. Why is the lower bound theorem failing here?

Thank you for any help you can give me.
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
moon1130 Posted - 09/10/2013 : 17:23:58
Thank you Ultraglide and Royhaas for your responses.

According to my text, the lower bound of a polynomial function is any number to the left of the smallest negative zero. Since -7 is the smallest negative zero, -8, -9, etc. are each lower bounds for this function. This being the case, when I divide the polynomial by -8 using synthetic division, one would expect that the quotient would have the alternating sign form of + - + - or - + = +.....
rather than + + + -. I could not figure out why this non-alternating form.

Thanks for your help,

moon1130

Ultraglide Posted - 08/13/2013 : 09:45:23
Just a note: since you have factored the polynomial (I curious as to how the word 'factorize' has crept into use in some areas), you will note that it the zeros occur at -1, -3, and -7 but not at -8. Maybe you need to try using one of the first three numbers in your synthetic division.
royhaas Posted - 08/13/2013 : 08:03:41
The section "Polynomials with real roots" in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Properties_of_polynomial_roots
should give some help.
Ultraglide Posted - 08/12/2013 : 22:03:46
This being a cubic function, it has no bounds, horizonally or vertically.

Math Forums @ Math Goodies © 2000-2004 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.04 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
testing footer
About Us | Contact Us | Advertise with Us | Facebook | Blog | Recommend This Page

Copyright © 1998-2014 Mrs. Glosser's Math Goodies. All Rights Reserved.

A Hotchalk/Glam Partner Site - Last Modified 16 Dec 2014