testing header
Math Goodies is a free math help portal for students, teachers, and parents.
Free Math
Newsletter

Interactive Math Goodies Software

Buy Math Goodies Software
testing left nav
Math Forums @ Math Goodies
Math Forums @ Math Goodies
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Homework Help Forums
 Geometry and Trigonometry
 Rotating rectangle

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Insert Special Characters Insert Smilie

* Forum Code is ON

Math Symbols
Squared [squared] Cubed [cubed] Square Root [sqrt] Cube Root [cbrt] Pi [pi]
Alpha [alpha] Beta [beta] Gamma [gamma] Theta [theta] Angle [angle]
Degrees [degrees] Times [times] Divide [divide] Less Than or Equal To [less-than] Greater Than or Equal To [greater-than]
Plus Minus [plus-minus] Integral [integral] Sum [sum] Sub 1 [sub-1] Sub 2 [sub-2]
Element Of [element-of] Union [union] Intersect [intersect] Subset [subset] Empty Set [empty-set]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
daimath Posted - 06/15/2012 : 23:04:22
Assume :

1. A square rectangle of given width..
2. The square rectangle is superimposed on a field (think of a square postcard lying on a sheet of graph paper).
3. The rectangle has an initial orientation of horizontal and vertical sides (i.e. it lines up with the lines of the graph paper).

At this stage, the horizontal size of the field occupied by the rectangle will be equal to the width of the rectangle. Similarly, the vertical size of the field occupied by the rectangle will be equal to the height of the rectangle.

Now assume that from that start position the rectangle is rotated by x degrees clockwise around its center.

For increasing values of x between 0 and 45 the horizontal width of the field occupied by the rectangle will increase. After 45 degrees has been reached further increasing the value of x decreases the width of the field occupied by the rectangle. When x = 90 degrees the width of the field occupied by the rectangle will again be equal to the width of the rectangle.

My question is what formula will solve the following question :

Given a known width for the rectangle and a known clockwise rotation angle between 0 and 90 degrees what is the horizontal size of the field occupied by the rectangle? The answer can be expressed as a multiple of the width of the rectangle.

Math Forums @ Math Goodies © 2000-2004 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
testing footer
About Us | Contact Us | Advertise with Us | Facebook | Blog | Recommend This Page

Copyright © 1998-2014 Mrs. Glosser's Math Goodies. All Rights Reserved.

A Hotchalk/Glam Partner Site - Last Modified 21 May 2014