testing header
Math Goodies is a free math help portal for students, teachers, and parents.
Free Math
Newsletter

Interactive Math Goodies Software

Buy Math Goodies Software
testing left nav
Math Forums @ Math Goodies
Math Forums @ Math Goodies
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Educator Forum
 Teacher Talk
 Obama's September 8 speech to students

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Insert Special Characters Insert Smilie

* Forum Code is ON

Math Symbols
Squared [squared] Cubed [cubed] Square Root [sqrt] Cube Root [cbrt] Pi [pi]
Alpha [alpha] Beta [beta] Gamma [gamma] Theta [theta] Angle [angle]
Degrees [degrees] Times [times] Divide [divide] Less Than or Equal To [less-than] Greater Than or Equal To [greater-than]
Plus Minus [plus-minus] Integral [integral] Sum [sum] Sub 1 [sub-1] Sub 2 [sub-2]
Element Of [element-of] Union [union] Intersect [intersect] Subset [subset] Empty Set [empty-set]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Admin Posted - 09/05/2009 : 17:19:01
You may have watched or heard about President Obama's speech to students on September 8. A few days before the speech, "Secretary of Education Arne Duncan sent a letter to the nation's principals, inviting schools to watch the speech and included suggested classroom activities." [Source: USA Today] Read this letter here.

As you know, many schools had already started the school year. (See our back-to-school poll.) Schools already in session faced some opposition from parents about airing this speech. Some parents threatened to keep their children at home.

We invite you to get the facts (read the articles below) and tell us your opinion about this controversial issue!

A R T I C L E S

1. Obama goes back to school [Source: Yahoo News]
  2. Many conservatives enraged over Obama school speech [Source: CNN]
  3. Obama speech to students sparks new controversy [Source: Education Week]
  4. Officials Move to Quell Furor Over Obama Speech [Source: Education Week]

Gisele Glosser
[Updated on September 9]
1   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
the_hill1962 Posted - 09/08/2009 : 18:07:33
Thank you for posting these. I could not get the first link to work but the others worked.
You would like my opinion?
I do not trust our President. He got elected by citing the increasing government deficit and then he proceeds to increase it dramatically.
Sure, they (the government officials) say that the speech is only about the need for students to work hard and stay in school but I just have a feeling of it being more about rallying future generations to support his liberal agenda.
I just see so much being poured into helping people that supposedly cannot help themselves (like get a job... get out of debt... get government assistance (can you say "clunker") ) that I am beginning to feel that I have it all wrong. I am starting to think that working and paying taxes on that hard income is not worth it. I see so many people getting free houses from the government now and those houses are better than mine! I would like a new car but my clunkers are too old for the program (and one met the age guidelines but the mpg was over the limit).
Anyway, enough ranting and raving. Our school decided to just tape the speech and then decide whether to show it or not.
quote:
Originally posted by Admin

Many of you have heard about President Obama's speech to students on September 8. According to USA Today, "Secretary of Education Arne Duncan sent a letter to the nation's principals, inviting schools to watch the speech and included suggested classroom activities." Read this letter here.

As you know, many schools have already started the school year. (See our back-to-school poll.) Schools already in session are facing opposition from parents about airing this speech. Some parents have threatened to keep their children at home.

We invite you to get the facts (read the articles below) and tell us your opinion about this controversial issue!

A R T I C L E S

1. Obama goes back to school [Source: Yahoo News]
  2. Many conservatives enraged over Obama school speech [Source: CNN]
  3. Obama speech to students sparks new controversy [Source: Education Week]
  4. Officials Move to Quell Furor Over Obama Speech [Source: Education Week]

Gisele Glosser

Math Forums @ Math Goodies © 2000-2004 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.36 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
testing footer
About Us | Contact Us | Advertise with Us | Facebook | Blog | Recommend This Page

Copyright © 1998-2014 Mrs. Glosser's Math Goodies. All Rights Reserved.

A Hotchalk/Glam Partner Site - Last Modified 21 Oct 2014