testing header
Math Goodies is a free math help portal for students, teachers, and parents.
Free Math
Newsletter

Interactive Math Goodies Software

Buy Math Goodies Software
testing left nav
Math Forums @ Math Goodies
Math Forums @ Math Goodies
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Homework Help Forums
 Miscellaneous Math Topics
 Which Switch Operates Which bulb?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Insert Special Characters Insert Smilie

* Forum Code is ON

Math Symbols
Squared [squared] Cubed [cubed] Square Root [sqrt] Cube Root [cbrt] Pi [pi]
Alpha [alpha] Beta [beta] Gamma [gamma] Theta [theta] Angle [angle]
Degrees [degrees] Times [times] Divide [divide] Less Than or Equal To [less-than] Greater Than or Equal To [greater-than]
Plus Minus [plus-minus] Integral [integral] Sum [sum] Sub 1 [sub-1] Sub 2 [sub-2]
Element Of [element-of] Union [union] Intersect [intersect] Subset [subset] Empty Set [empty-set]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
TchrWill Posted - 05/15/2013 : 09:45:12
Assuming that you just haven't had time to explore the 6 Pointed Star problem, here is another non-math problem to chew on for a breather.

You are in one room with three light switches. In an adjacent room there are three light bulbs operated by the three switches in the first room. One switch operates one bulb. You have no knowledge of which switch operates which bulb. You can open a door and enter the room with the three light bulbs only once. How is it possible to determine which switch operates which bulb?

Enjoy
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
TchrWill Posted - 05/17/2013 : 09:01:10
You got it.
Lets see "watt" we can come up with.

Label the switches 1, 2, and 3.

1--Turn switch #1 on for a minute or so, then turn it off.
2--Turn switch #2 on and enter the room.
3--Immediately feel each light to see which one is warm.
4--Having found the light that is warm to the touch, you have found the light that is controlled by switch #1.
5--Obviously, the light that is on when you entered the room is the light controlled by switch #2.
6--The remaining light is the one controlled by switch #3.

As for the star solution, see the star thread.

the_hill1962 Posted - 05/16/2013 : 09:46:57
It has been a long time since I have heard of the 6 Pointed Star problem and I forget what it is.
As for the switch/bulb, the solution is not "mathematical". The only solution that I see is to flip on a switch and leave it on for a few minutes and then, immediately after flipping it off, flip on a different switch and quickly go into the room and feel which of the two unlit bulbs is warm. The warm one belongs to the first switch you flipped on for a few minutes and the cooler one belongs to the switch that you didn't touch. The lit bulbs obviously belongs to the switch that you left flipped on.
That solution assumes that you started with all switches off in the first place. I think it would also work if all the switches were on at the start but I haven't thought that through. It would sort of be like the opposite with the "feel" of the temperatures.
Now, LED lights don't produce heat so if the bulbs were LED, I don't know how it would be solved.
quote:
Originally posted by TchrWill

Regarding "I was stumped on this one. It is "mathematically" impossible isn't it?" Which one are you referring to; the 6 pointed star or the switch/bulb one? Will be glad to post my solutions if you are interested.Both are possible.

TchrWill Posted - 05/15/2013 : 10:59:55
Regarding "I was stumped on this one. It is "mathematically" impossible isn't it?" Which one are you referring to; the 6 pointed star or the switch/bulb one? Will be glad to post my solutions if you are interested.Both are possible.
the_hill1962 Posted - 05/15/2013 : 10:32:16
I was stumped on this one. It is "mathematically" impossible isn't it?
The need to know the answer got the best of me and I had to look it up!
I doubt if I would have come up with the solution without looking it up.

Math Forums @ Math Goodies © 2000-2004 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
testing footer
About Us | Contact Us | Advertise with Us | Facebook | Blog | Recommend This Page

Copyright © 1998-2014 Mrs. Glosser's Math Goodies. All Rights Reserved.

A Hotchalk/Glam Partner Site - Last Modified 21 May 2014