testing header
Math Goodies is a free math help portal for students, teachers, and parents.
Free Math
Newsletter

Interactive Math Goodies Software

Buy Math Goodies Software
testing left nav
Math Forums @ Math Goodies
Math Forums @ Math Goodies
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Homework Help Forums
 Algebra
 Finding the range

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Insert Special Characters Insert Smilie

* Forum Code is ON

Math Symbols
Squared [squared] Cubed [cubed] Square Root [sqrt] Cube Root [cbrt] Pi [pi]
Alpha [alpha] Beta [beta] Gamma [gamma] Theta [theta] Angle [angle]
Degrees [degrees] Times [times] Divide [divide] Less Than or Equal To [less-than] Greater Than or Equal To [greater-than]
Plus Minus [plus-minus] Integral [integral] Sum [sum] Sub 1 [sub-1] Sub 2 [sub-2]
Element Of [element-of] Union [union] Intersect [intersect] Subset [subset] Empty Set [empty-set]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
moon1130 Posted - 03/26/2013 : 23:39:35
I am asked to find the range of the function h(t)=(9-t). I solved the problem by first finding the domain of h, which is -3t3, and then calculating the range from this via a table. I am sure that there is another way to solve this problem algebraically by dealing directly with the range concept (and bypassing the domain), but I have not been able to find it. Can someone help me?

Thank you.
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Ultraglide Posted - 04/02/2013 : 18:02:40
Oops, you're right it is a semi-circle but everything else is the same.
Subhotosh Khan Posted - 03/31/2013 : 12:28:29
quote:
Originally posted by Ultraglide

An alternate way of looking at this problem is by graphing the function.
First note that y=9-t is a parabola opening downward with t-intercepts of 3 and an h-intercept of 9.
This function, though, is a square root function, so you are restricted to positive values, hence any part of the function below the t-axis is eliminated.
So now you only have h-values between 0 and 9 so if you take the root, you get values between 0 and 3.

The function is h(t) = (9 -t)

Thus it is the upper half of a circle

h = 9 - t → h + t = 3
moon1130 Posted - 03/30/2013 : 23:47:10
I thank each of you for your responses and help. I now understand the process. I cannot put my finger on what exactly confused me earlier, but it is all clear in my mind now.

My answer to this question is [0,3] also. I determined the range by first finding the domain and them calculating the h(t) values for the minimum and maximum range values, respectively.

I was looking for an algebraic method akin to finding the inverse of a one-to-one function.

All of you have a very Good one...

moon1130
Ultraglide Posted - 03/27/2013 : 11:02:59
An alternate way of looking at this problem is by graphing the function.
First note that y=9-t is a parabola opening downward with t-intercepts of 3 and an h-intercept of 9.
This function, though, is a square root function, so you are restricted to positive values, hence any part of the function below the t-axis is eliminated.
So now you only have h-values between 0 and 9 so if you take the root, you get values between 0 and 3.
the_hill1962 Posted - 03/27/2013 : 10:39:06
The way that you stated is really is a good way to solve it. There is no "algebraic" method. (9-t) does not simplify anyway.
For these type of problems, looking for discontinuities (holes or asymptotes, etc) is the way answer it.
Sometimes a table might not show the discontinuities.
Please let us know what you list for the answer to this problem so we can check to make sure you did it correctly.
royhaas Posted - 03/27/2013 : 08:22:11
By definition, the range is the set of values corresponding to the domain. In this case, it's [0,3].

Math Forums @ Math Goodies © 2000-2004 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
testing footer
About Us | Contact Us | Advertise with Us | Facebook | Blog | Recommend This Page

Copyright © 1998-2014 Mrs. Glosser's Math Goodies. All Rights Reserved.

A Hotchalk/Glam Partner Site - Last Modified 22 Oct 2014