testing header
Math Goodies is a free math help portal for students, teachers, and parents.
Free Math
Newsletter

Interactive Math Goodies Software

Buy Math Goodies Software
testing left nav
Math Forums @ Math Goodies
Math Forums @ Math Goodies
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Homework Help Forums
 Probability and Statistics
 10 traffic lights

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Insert Special Characters Insert Smilie

* Forum Code is ON

Math Symbols
Squared [squared] Cubed [cubed] Square Root [sqrt] Cube Root [cbrt] Pi [pi]
Alpha [alpha] Beta [beta] Gamma [gamma] Theta [theta] Angle [angle]
Degrees [degrees] Times [times] Divide [divide] Less Than or Equal To [less-than] Greater Than or Equal To [greater-than]
Plus Minus [plus-minus] Integral [integral] Sum [sum] Sub 1 [sub-1] Sub 2 [sub-2]
Element Of [element-of] Union [union] Intersect [intersect] Subset [subset] Empty Set [empty-set]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
shelby Posted - 10/17/2012 : 23:02:26
if there are 10 traffic lights what is the probability that at lest one is red? I am having trouble even beginning this one
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
the_hill1962 Posted - 10/18/2012 : 16:30:46
If there were just there are just two colors (say green and red), then there are 2^10 (or, that is 1024) configurations total.
The part of the problem that says "at least one is red" would mean that you just eliminate the ONE configuration GGGGGGGGGG (all green) and that makes the answer 1023/1024.
For three colors (red yellow green) is probably what this question is dealing with. The same procedure can be done by changing the "2" to a "3".
Now, I have another comment which the author of the problem also did not consider. Does each light stay on for the same time before changing to a different color. That would make a difference in the answer also. For example, if Green stayed on for, say 3 minutes and red for only 5 seconds and yellow for only 1 second (extreme case) but that would make the probability VERY low. Of course, this is not to be considered in this problem.
royhaas Posted - 10/18/2012 : 08:56:11
The probability that none of them are red will depend on how many colors are not red.

Math Forums @ Math Goodies © 2000-2004 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
testing footer
About Us | Contact Us | Advertise with Us | Facebook | Blog | Recommend This Page

Copyright © 1998-2014 Mrs. Glosser's Math Goodies. All Rights Reserved.

A Hotchalk/Glam Partner Site - Last Modified 21 May 2014