testing header
Math Goodies is a free math help portal for students, teachers, and parents.
Free Math
Newsletter

Interactive Math Goodies Software

Buy Math Goodies Software
testing left nav
Math Forums @ Math Goodies
Math Forums @ Math Goodies
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 New Visitor Forum
 Testing Forum
 6th grade math

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Insert Special Characters Insert Smilie

* Forum Code is ON

Math Symbols
Squared [squared] Cubed [cubed] Square Root [sqrt] Cube Root [cbrt] Pi [pi]
Alpha [alpha] Beta [beta] Gamma [gamma] Theta [theta] Angle [angle]
Degrees [degrees] Times [times] Divide [divide] Less Than or Equal To [less-than] Greater Than or Equal To [greater-than]
Plus Minus [plus-minus] Integral [integral] Sum [sum] Sub 1 [sub-1] Sub 2 [sub-2]
Element Of [element-of] Union [union] Intersect [intersect] Subset [subset] Empty Set [empty-set]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
IG0800 Posted - 04/24/2012 : 21:33:00
Mr.hall made dog toys by braiding two 12inch strips of fabric. The strips are three inches wide. There 20 dogs in the shelter. How many 12 inch strips of fabric will they need to make a chew toy for all dogs?
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Subhotosh Khan Posted - 07/02/2012 : 06:08:24
I think this is a perfect "6th grader" problem.

Multiplying 2 by 20 and getting 40 as answer is a 2nd grade problem. I hope objective of this problem was not - to find out whether the student can do simple multiplication!

Here a situation is presented - not too complicated - but student has to choose pertinent data.

This is a very important skill that should be picked up about this time - and this (in my opinion) makes the word problem.

This is important skill set for developing "critical thinking" ability.
the_hill1962 Posted - 06/30/2012 : 18:19:37
Yes, the beginning student would want to do something with the "12" and the "three".
It takes some experience to know that the 12 and three are not used to solve this problem.
Isn't math wonderful?
I do not teach 6th grade math but I wouldn't think this is too complicated. For those that do teach in the 6th grade, I would like to read a reply describing why the 12 and the three are not used.
It doesn't seem like I had to do story problems like that back in 6th grade but I don't remember for sure.
In my opinion, trying to have students do too tricky of problems is what gets them turned off from math. I think that having the 12 and the three are just in this problem to make for a 'trick' question.
Subhotosh Khan Posted - 06/29/2012 : 21:01:00
quote:
Originally posted by ever22

quote:
Originally posted by IG0800

Mr.hall made dog toys by braiding two 12inch strips of fabric. The strips are three inches wide. There 20 dogs in the shelter. How many 12 inch strips of fabric will they need to make a chew toy for all dogs?

You just need to do 12 20 which is 240 ..Incorrect

You'll need 2 strips for a toy for 1 dog

For 20 dogs, you'll need (2*20 = ) 40 strips

Length (12") and the width (3") are not relevant.

ever22 Posted - 05/12/2012 : 16:46:06
quote:
Originally posted by IG0800

You just need to do 12 20 which is 240
the_hill1962 Posted - 04/25/2012 : 16:22:57
This is just simple multiplication. Please tell us what you think needs to be multiplied.

Math Forums @ Math Goodies © 2000-2004 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
testing footer
About Us | Contact Us | Advertise with Us | Facebook | Blog | Recommend This Page

Copyright © 1998-2014 Mrs. Glosser's Math Goodies. All Rights Reserved.

A Hotchalk/Glam Partner Site - Last Modified 21 May 2014