testing header
Math Goodies is a free math help portal for students, teachers, and parents.
Free Math
Newsletter

Interactive Math Goodies Software

Buy Math Goodies Software
testing left nav
Math Forums @ Math Goodies
Math Forums @ Math Goodies
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Homework Help Forums
 Pre-Calculus and Calculus
 Vectors: Parallelogram Missing a Point

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Insert Special Characters Insert Smilie

* Forum Code is ON

Math Symbols
Squared [squared] Cubed [cubed] Square Root [sqrt] Cube Root [cbrt] Pi [pi]
Alpha [alpha] Beta [beta] Gamma [gamma] Theta [theta] Angle [angle]
Degrees [degrees] Times [times] Divide [divide] Less Than or Equal To [less-than] Greater Than or Equal To [greater-than]
Plus Minus [plus-minus] Integral [integral] Sum [sum] Sub 1 [sub-1] Sub 2 [sub-2]
Element Of [element-of] Union [union] Intersect [intersect] Subset [subset] Empty Set [empty-set]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
uberclay Posted - 04/16/2012 : 23:53:43
Given the parallelogram ABCD, where A (4, 2), B (-6, 1) and D (-3, -4), find the coordinates of C.

I cannot, for the life of me, wrap my head around this problem. Initially I solved this by observation (B is to A as C is to D) for the solution C (-13, -5), but it's supposed to be solved using Vector addition/subtraction.

The Cartesian Vectors I get are AB (-10, -1) and AD (-7, -6) giving magnitudes |AB| = 101^(1/2) and |AD| = 85^(1/2)

I found the angle between AB and AD by 90 - tan^-1 (-1/-10) + tan^-1 (-7/-6) (this is a pre-dot/cross product lesson)

The cosine law gives the correct magnitude for the diagonal AC;
|AC| = |AB| + |AD| = |AB|^2 + |AD|^2 - 2|AB||AD|Cos, where = 180 - BAD, which is 338.

And here is where I am stuck. How do I get the coordinates out of this magnitude?
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
uberclay Posted - 04/18/2012 : 16:56:27
Well, it makes sense now ; 0 )

Thanks Ultraglide
Ultraglide Posted - 04/17/2012 : 22:02:40
You're making this way too hard. The coordinates of a parallelogram, if they are given as letters, are always cyclic so in this case AB is parallel to DC. Now vector AB is (-6-4, 1-2) or
(-10,-1). Let C have coordinates (x,y) so DC is (x-(-3), y-(-4)) or (x+3, y+4). But AB and DC are equal so x+3=-10 giving x = -13 and y+4=-1 giving y = -5. So (x,y)=(-13, -5). You can check as follows, - 13 - (-3) = -10 and -5 -(-4) = -1.
uberclay Posted - 04/17/2012 : 19:08:13
I'm still baffled but I think I got it.

Subtracting the vector OA from OB gives AB = (-10, -1)

And adding the vector OD to AB gives OC

AB + OD = (-10, -1) + (-3, -4) = (-13, -5)

Therefore C = (-13, -5)

I couldn't find an example in the text, which is odd. And my submitted answer (graded as incorrect) was the same logic without the vector notation.

I'm assuming that evaluating for AB establishes the relation between A and B, and when applied to D, gives the location of C.
uberclay Posted - 04/17/2012 : 13:36:16
Disregard. I have hugely overcomplicated this.

All that needs to be done here is vector addition
I'll work it out and let you know how it goes.

Math Forums @ Math Goodies © 2000-2004 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
testing footer
About Us | Contact Us | Advertise with Us | Facebook | Blog | Recommend This Page

Copyright © 1998-2014 Mrs. Glosser's Math Goodies. All Rights Reserved.

A Hotchalk/Glam Partner Site - Last Modified 30 Oct 2014