testing header
Math Goodies is a free math help portal for students, teachers, and parents.
Free Math
Newsletter

Interactive Math Goodies Software

Buy Math Goodies Software
testing left nav
Math Forums @ Math Goodies
Math Forums @ Math Goodies
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Homework Help Forums
 Miscellaneous Math Topics
 pick for a win.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Insert Special Characters Insert Smilie

* Forum Code is ON

Math Symbols
Squared [squared] Cubed [cubed] Square Root [sqrt] Cube Root [cbrt] Pi [pi]
Alpha [alpha] Beta [beta] Gamma [gamma] Theta [theta] Angle [angle]
Degrees [degrees] Times [times] Divide [divide] Less Than or Equal To [less-than] Greater Than or Equal To [greater-than]
Plus Minus [plus-minus] Integral [integral] Sum [sum] Sub 1 [sub-1] Sub 2 [sub-2]
Element Of [element-of] Union [union] Intersect [intersect] Subset [subset] Empty Set [empty-set]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
westworld Posted - 02/16/2012 : 14:08:29
. These problems just blow me away. I do need to get the hang of them one day I hope. Consider the following two-player game. Player One places between 50 and 60 toothpicks on the table. Player Two picks up at least one and no more than nine of the toothpicks. Player One then picks up at least one and no more than nine of the remaining toothpicks. Play alternates in this way until there are no more toothpicks remaining on the table. The person who picks up the last toothpick from the table loses. If you are Player One, how many toothpicks should you place on the table to guarantee a win for yourself?
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Ultraglide Posted - 03/03/2012 : 00:02:01
I guess I botched the orignal response. Let's try again. If you want to force the other player to take the last toothpick, you obviously need them to have only one to choose at the end. To get to that position, if there were 11 left and the opponent were picking, their pick plus yours would total 10. Continuing upward you would obviously want to arrive at a total of 51 for the first pick of the opponent. So any number above 51 up to 59 would do. Your first pick would bring the total to 51 and then you would just pick sufficient toothpicks so that each round (yours and theirs) would total 10 eventually winning the game.
Subhotosh Khan Posted - 02/25/2012 : 21:25:33
Actually when it is your last turn - you should have 10 toothpicks - now you can pick 9 tooth-picks and force the last guy to pick the last one. So your opponent must face (before you) > 10 tooth picks (that way s/he cannot leave 1 on the table by picking 9 tooth-picks)
Ultraglide Posted - 02/18/2012 : 16:19:18
In these types of puzzles, it is easier to determine the strategy if you work from the end to the beginning. If there are 2 toothpicks left, you take 1 forcing the other player to take the last one. How do you plan it so that you can ensure that there are 2 left when it is your turn?

Math Forums @ Math Goodies © 2000-2004 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
testing footer
About Us | Contact Us | Advertise with Us | Facebook | Blog | Recommend This Page

Copyright © 1998-2014 Mrs. Glosser's Math Goodies. All Rights Reserved.

A Hotchalk/Glam Partner Site - Last Modified 21 May 2014