testing header
Math Goodies is a free math help portal for students, teachers, and parents.
Free Math
Newsletter

Interactive Math Goodies Software

Buy Math Goodies Software
testing left nav
Math Forums @ Math Goodies
Math Forums @ Math Goodies
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Homework Help Forums
 Miscellaneous Math Topics
 long walk.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Insert Special Characters Insert Smilie

* Forum Code is ON

Math Symbols
Squared [squared] Cubed [cubed] Square Root [sqrt] Cube Root [cbrt] Pi [pi]
Alpha [alpha] Beta [beta] Gamma [gamma] Theta [theta] Angle [angle]
Degrees [degrees] Times [times] Divide [divide] Less Than or Equal To [less-than] Greater Than or Equal To [greater-than]
Plus Minus [plus-minus] Integral [integral] Sum [sum] Sub 1 [sub-1] Sub 2 [sub-2]
Element Of [element-of] Union [union] Intersect [intersect] Subset [subset] Empty Set [empty-set]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
westworld Posted - 02/15/2012 : 17:16:51
I am having trouble setting this problem up. So far I have x=walking speed, 15x=train and x/2=oxcart.
Where do I go from here if this is correct. No distance given or times.
Once upon a time, a traveler was heading home from a large city. She went halfway by train, at a speed 15 times as fast as she could walk. She then rode the rest of the way in the back of an oxcart. Because of the rough road, she could have walked twice as fast as the oxcart. Would she have saved time if she had traveled the entire way on foot? Thanks
1   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
the_hill1962 Posted - 02/16/2012 : 13:38:17
Yes, you are correct in what you are thinking so far.
I might suggest to use "r" instead of "x" since "r" is what we usually use for speed (rate).
It would be tough to know how to continue if you you didn't know how to work with the d=rt equation.
You didn't mention it in your post so I am wondering if you are familiar with it. You should know that distance = rate x time.
This equation is equivalent to r=d/t (that is rate = distance time
and also t=d/r (that is time = distance rate.
Hopefully you have seen these also and know how they are arrived at. If not, please ask us for clarification.
Now, you problem can be solved using a couple different approches. The easiest, I think, is to use t=d/r since the question is asking about how much "time".
Of course, if she was to walk the whole distance, t=d/r.
So the problem consists of trying to figure out if the time on the train plus the t on the oxcart is more than d/r
Remember, each part is half the distance.
So, the time on the train is t=0.5d/15r
and the time on the oxcart is t=0.5d/0.5r
Add up the two times and see if it is more or less than just d/r.
It is interesting to note (and sort of a hint here) that the time on the oxcart (0.5d/0.5r) simplifies to d/r itself!
You may not find that interesting but it makes sense when you realize that since the oxcart is moving half as fast as walking BUT she is just going half the distance, it comes out that the time would just be the same to do that as traveling twice as fast as the oxcart twice that distance it traveled.
With that hint, the answer makes sense.
Let us know if you can't get the answer.

Math Forums @ Math Goodies © 2000-2004 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
testing footer
About Us | Contact Us | Advertise with Us | Facebook | Blog | Recommend This Page

Copyright © 1998-2014 Mrs. Glosser's Math Goodies. All Rights Reserved.

A Hotchalk/Glam Partner Site - Last Modified 30 Oct 2014