testing header
Math Goodies is a free math help portal for students, teachers, and parents.
Free Math
Newsletter

Interactive Math Goodies Software

Buy Math Goodies Software
testing left nav
Math Forums @ Math Goodies
Math Forums @ Math Goodies
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Homework Help Forums
 Standardized Test Preparation Help
 Accuplacer test Elementry algebra Q's

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Insert Special Characters Insert Smilie

* Forum Code is ON

Math Symbols
Squared [squared] Cubed [cubed] Square Root [sqrt] Cube Root [cbrt] Pi [pi]
Alpha [alpha] Beta [beta] Gamma [gamma] Theta [theta] Angle [angle]
Degrees [degrees] Times [times] Divide [divide] Less Than or Equal To [less-than] Greater Than or Equal To [greater-than]
Plus Minus [plus-minus] Integral [integral] Sum [sum] Sub 1 [sub-1] Sub 2 [sub-2]
Element Of [element-of] Union [union] Intersect [intersect] Subset [subset] Empty Set [empty-set]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
krazykay3224 Posted - 10/14/2011 : 14:51:37
X > 2, then (x^2-x-6)/ (x^2-4)

A. (x-3)/(2)
B. (x-3)/(x-2)
C. (x-3)/(x+2)
D. 3/2

I have the key and Answer is B. But that is not helping me. Please break this down into math for dummies style. This is the site I got the review from http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/accuplacer/preparation-sample.html . Thank you.
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Ultraglide Posted - 10/19/2011 : 12:14:40
When you divide out, you get one, when you cancel, you get zero. As far as the linked web site, I have found at least one that does not make the reference to division:

http://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/cancel

Many of sites that do make a reference to division seem the have the same statement.
the_hill1962 Posted - 10/19/2011 : 11:31:57
Ultraglide: I don't understand your limited definition of cancel either. True, cancel can mean "combine to get zero" but it can also mean to "divide out to get one".
http://www.definitions.net/definition/cancel
I would be interested in looking at where you get your limited definition from. Do you have a particular site or reference book that you are using?
About the use of the word "cancel" by students and teachers; why is it incorrect? I tend to avoid the use of the word and do use the phrase "divide out" or "subtract out" but "cancel" can be used for both instances.
krazykay3224 Posted - 10/16/2011 : 20:56:55
Thank you
TchrWill Posted - 10/16/2011 : 09:40:24
(x^2-x-6) is equivalent to
(x^2-4)

(x-3)(x+2)
[(x-2)(x+2)]

(x+2) being common to both numerator and denominator
(x+2)divided by (x+2) = 1 resulting in

(x-3)(1)
[(x-2)] or

(x-3)
[(x-2)]

If x > 2, then b is the correct answer.
Ultraglide Posted - 10/15/2011 : 23:36:43
With all due respect, I disagree with the result that you found. As I said before cancel means to combine to give zero. By dividing out a common factor you do not get zero.
sahsjing Posted - 10/15/2011 : 20:00:50
quote:
Originally posted by Ultraglide

Just a comment about the word "cancel". When something cancels in the mathematical sense, it means the result is zero. What you mean here is to "divide out". I know that many students (and teachers) use cancel to mean this process but that is incorrect.

I did some search and found out word 'cancel' in Mathematics means:
"To remove (a common factor) from the numerator and denominator of a fractional expression.
To remove (a common factor or term) from both sides of an equation or inequality."

http://www.answers.com/topic/cancel

krazykay3224 Posted - 10/15/2011 : 19:01:34
Ok. I had done research on the problem on yahoo and was able to see the break down, but I am not understanding the reasoning. What I am asking is for someone to explain it.. not just write it out... i apologize if i did not express this in my last post... First what is this method or type of math called? Also can you please explain step by step what the reason is that these things are being done. Are we dividing -6 by 2 to get -3 and then dividing -4 by 2 to get -2 and then just moving the positive 2, or is this factoring all the numbers are divisible by 2. Can you please explain it as if you were having to teach it to someone that has no experience. Thank you-
Ultraglide Posted - 10/15/2011 : 17:26:09
Just a comment about the word "cancel". When something cancels in the mathematical sense, it means the result is zero. What you mean here is to "divide out". I know that many students (and teachers) use cancel to mean this process but that is incorrect.
sahsjing Posted - 10/14/2011 : 18:34:05
(x^2-x-6)/ (x^2-4) = (x-3)(x+2)/[(x+2)(x-2)] = (x-3)/(x+2), since x > 2, x - 2 has been cancelled.

Therefore, the answer is B.

Math Forums @ Math Goodies © 2000-2004 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
testing footer
About Us | Contact Us | Advertise with Us | Facebook | Blog | Recommend This Page

Copyright © 1998-2014 Mrs. Glosser's Math Goodies. All Rights Reserved.

A Hotchalk/Glam Partner Site - Last Modified 21 May 2014