testing header
Math Goodies is a free math help portal for students, teachers, and parents.
Free Math
Newsletter

Interactive Math Goodies Software

Buy Math Goodies Software
testing left nav
Math Forums @ Math Goodies
Math Forums @ Math Goodies
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Educator Forum
 Teacher Talk
 handling mathematics class

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Insert Special Characters Insert Smilie

* Forum Code is ON

Math Symbols
Squared [squared] Cubed [cubed] Square Root [sqrt] Cube Root [cbrt] Pi [pi]
Alpha [alpha] Beta [beta] Gamma [gamma] Theta [theta] Angle [angle]
Degrees [degrees] Times [times] Divide [divide] Less Than or Equal To [less-than] Greater Than or Equal To [greater-than]
Plus Minus [plus-minus] Integral [integral] Sum [sum] Sub 1 [sub-1] Sub 2 [sub-2]
Element Of [element-of] Union [union] Intersect [intersect] Subset [subset] Empty Set [empty-set]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Rj Macarilay Posted - 10/16/2009 : 11:20:20
Hi!
Good day! I am Reinel John Macarilay, a Bachelor of Secondary Education student from Philippines majoring in Mathematics.

I am just worried on how to discipline my students especially now that I am just starting to practice teaching as a substitute. As much as I want them to pay attention and focus on what I am teaching, knowing that it is difficult, there are these students who just talk and talk and do not listen to what I am discussing in front. I canít help but shout on them but I am afraid that they might label me as a terror pre-service teacher and start to become afraid of me and have the impression that if ever I will be handling them on my practicum, I would be like that. And this I really don't want to happen because I want them to enjoy my class.

Your response would be much appreciated. Thank You and God Bless.

Reinel John Macarilay
reinel_john15@yahoo.com.ph

4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
catsalot Posted - 12/04/2009 : 17:10:56
Yes, I absolutely agree with the_hill1962!

cats
Rj Macarilay Posted - 10/19/2009 : 04:43:16
quote:
Originally posted by the_hill1962

It is a good idea to be "a terror" (as you say) at your point in time. There is an old saying in the teaching profession: "Never smile before Winter Break". You can always get nicer and more leanient later. It is EXTREMELY difficult to do the opposite (to get meanier).
Students take advantage of a "nice" teacher that lets a little misbehavior slide. They start testing to see how far they can go to make a teacher mad but make sure to stay within perceived limits of not getting into trouble. Then once they figure out the limits, they start pushing it further little by little until they are at the limit they figure out makes you mad but still does not get them into trouble. It gets to the point where the "good" students see that you are letting the others misbehave and they start thinking how unfair that it. Next thing you know is that the whole class (except for the VERY best and most MATURE students) starts joining in with the ones that started misbehaving in the first place because they know a teacher usually won't send a whole bunch of students out of the room at once.
After you have more than half the class not listening to you, it is very hard to get their respect back (if not impossible) without outside help.
Right now you have your supervisor teacher to intervene but after you get out on your own it will be even more difficult. A lot of administrators would rather just find someone else that can set limits with their students instead of intervening on your behalf.

Thank you very much. This would be of great help to me. I will try to internalize to become effective teacher without being that "terror". I believe students indeed nowadays are taking advantage of us being kind to them that leads to disrespectful. And i will try my best not to be that close to them and/or have at least a gap between us. I will try to start as early us now to impose my rules, likes and dislikes to a student. Thank You and God Bless.
anonmeans Posted - 10/16/2009 : 16:22:48
Well put!
the_hill1962 Posted - 10/16/2009 : 13:05:04
It is a good idea to be "a terror" (as you say) at your point in time (beginning teacher at the start of the year). There is an old saying in the teaching profession: "Never smile before Winter Break". You can always get nicer and more leanient later. It is EXTREMELY difficult to do the opposite (to get meanier).
Students take advantage of a "nice" teacher that lets a little misbehavior slide. They start testing to see how far they can go to make a teacher mad but make sure to stay within perceived limits of not getting into trouble. Then, once they figure out the limits, they start pushing it further little by little until they are AT the limit they figure out makes you mad but still does not get them into trouble. It gets to the point where the "good" students see that you are letting the others misbehave and they start thinking how unfair that is (human nature sets in). Next thing you know is that the whole class (except for the VERY best and most MATURE students) starts joining in with the ones that started misbehaving in the first place because they know a teacher usually won't send a whole bunch of students out of the room at once.
After you have more than half the class not listening to you, it is very hard to get their respect back (if not impossible) without outside help.
Right now you have your supervisor teacher to intervene but after you get out on your own it will be even more difficult. A lot of administrators would rather just find someone else that can set limits with their students first instead of intervening on your behalf later.

Math Forums @ Math Goodies © 2000-2004 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.04 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
testing footer
About Us | Contact Us | Advertise with Us | Facebook | Blog | Recommend This Page

Copyright © 1998-2014 Mrs. Glosser's Math Goodies. All Rights Reserved.

A Hotchalk/Glam Partner Site - Last Modified 22 Oct 2014