testing header
Math Goodies is a free math help portal for students, teachers, and parents.
Free Math
Newsletter

Interactive Math Goodies Software

Buy Math Goodies Software
testing left nav
Math Forums @ Math Goodies
Math Forums @ Math Goodies
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Parent Forum
 Parent's Place
 Roman Numerals

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Insert Special Characters Insert Smilie

* Forum Code is ON

Math Symbols
Squared [squared] Cubed [cubed] Square Root [sqrt] Cube Root [cbrt] Pi [pi]
Alpha [alpha] Beta [beta] Gamma [gamma] Theta [theta] Angle [angle]
Degrees [degrees] Times [times] Divide [divide] Less Than or Equal To [less-than] Greater Than or Equal To [greater-than]
Plus Minus [plus-minus] Integral [integral] Sum [sum] Sub 1 [sub-1] Sub 2 [sub-2]
Element Of [element-of] Union [union] Intersect [intersect] Subset [subset] Empty Set [empty-set]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
debraroxanne Posted - 10/15/2009 : 15:38:43
Do you have a good answer to my daughter's (9-year old) question as to why we need to know Roman numerals? Thanks, D
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
the_hill1962 Posted - 10/16/2009 : 08:10:51
debraroxanne:
I see that you posted this same thing in the Teacher's area. There is no need to post duplicate messages. In fact, I believe it is against policy here.
We check all areas and it just wastes time and bandwidth when there are duplicate posts.
Anyway, did you see Royhaas' reply to your duplicate post in the Teacher area?
I will copy it here:
Not really. However, in the year MMIX, the XVIII Airborne Corp at Ft. Bragg and III Corp at Ft. Hood still use them.
I hope the moderator of the Teacher area has locked the topic. I reported it yesterday but obviously it has not been locked yet because Royhaas made that reply (which is very good).
I hope that more people reply to this post because it is a very good question.
Did you mention any of this stuff to your daughter yet? I am interested if she responds positively or negatively or just indifferent and neutral.
debraroxanne Posted - 10/15/2009 : 18:08:14
Thank you very much for your input. Some good stuff there for me to use. Smiles, Debra
the_hill1962 Posted - 10/15/2009 : 17:31:39
Fancy clocks and watches have Roman numerals on the face.
Football Super Bowl games are numbered with Roman numerals.
Parents often name one of their children after a grandparent and "the second" is shortened to just II. Most Popes have a Roman numeral.
Volumes of books often use Roman numerals.
I guess the answer to you question is "Roman numerals are still in use today". Anyway, they are just "cool" (do 9 year olds still use that term?------My nephew uses the term "sick" so maybe I could say that Roman numerals are sick).
Saving the best for last:
As all math teachers like to say, knowing math is important for a person to realize there is order in the world and helps a person to think logically. Learning how Roman numerals go requires a person to use parts of their brain that is connected with that type of thinking. If a person just refuses to learn this sort of stuff, then they are limiting how they see the world (yes, I know that is not important to a 9 year old---they just see the world as their own little snapshot around them...)

Math Forums @ Math Goodies © 2000-2004 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
testing footer
About Us | Contact Us | Advertise with Us | Facebook | Blog | Recommend This Page

Copyright © 1998-2014 Mrs. Glosser's Math Goodies. All Rights Reserved.

A Hotchalk/Glam Partner Site - Last Modified 21 May 2014