testing header
Math Goodies is a free math help portal for students, teachers, and parents.
Free Math
Newsletter

Interactive Math Goodies Software

Buy Math Goodies Software
testing left nav
Math Forums @ Math Goodies
Math Forums @ Math Goodies
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Educator Forum
 Teacher Talk
 doctoral theses

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Insert Special Characters Insert Smilie

* Forum Code is ON

Math Symbols
Squared [squared] Cubed [cubed] Square Root [sqrt] Cube Root [cbrt] Pi [pi]
Alpha [alpha] Beta [beta] Gamma [gamma] Theta [theta] Angle [angle]
Degrees [degrees] Times [times] Divide [divide] Less Than or Equal To [less-than] Greater Than or Equal To [greater-than]
Plus Minus [plus-minus] Integral [integral] Sum [sum] Sub 1 [sub-1] Sub 2 [sub-2]
Element Of [element-of] Union [union] Intersect [intersect] Subset [subset] Empty Set [empty-set]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
galactus Posted - 10/03/2006 : 12:37:46
This is a query aimed at those who have their doctorates in math.

May I ask what your theses were on?. When one goes for ones doctorate, what does it entail as compared to attending classes for a bachelor's and/or graduate degree?. Do you mainly just choose an area of interest and research that for your doctoral theses?. I am just curious.

Cheers,
Cody aka galactus
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
HallsofIvy Posted - 10/11/2007 : 10:15:24
My doctoral thesis was titled "Tensor methods in SU(n)" and basically derived formulas for computing caculations that are used in quantum physics, in SU(2) and SU(3), but generalized to any dimension.
Subhotosh Khan Posted - 10/13/2006 : 20:24:56
So I see nobody replied to your query.

I do not have doctorate in Mathematics - I did it in Engineering (Mechanics). In there, I first chose the "project" that was willing to support me (through assistantship) and then I drilled in further to choose the topic of my dissertation (this is the 90% of doctorate degree - at least in my case). I had to complete 60 hours of post-graduate course work - but that was piece of cake.

Depending on your advisor and doctorate committee (I had to choose those) - you will be required to write 2 - 4 papers in "reviewed" journals. That could be the biggest (hardest) requirement for Ph.D. However, this requirement is generally "unwritten". You can generally write your thesis weaving these papers into one tome (or you could be like Einstein - and write 3 papers in 3 different topics and each one noble-worthy and none were for his thesis).

Math Forums @ Math Goodies © 2000-2004 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
testing footer
About Us | Contact Us | Advertise with Us | Facebook | Blog | Recommend This Page

Copyright © 1998-2014 Mrs. Glosser's Math Goodies. All Rights Reserved.

A Hotchalk/Glam Partner Site - Last Modified 21 May 2014